CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Eat When Im Hungry, Stop When Im Not - what a tug of war


Yes, that is exactly how I felt last night. Tug, Pull, Tug, Pull. Ive read about this, how you should really eat when your hungry, and stop when your not...easier said than done if you ask me. I really need to listen to my body and see what it truly needs. Being a snacker and emotional eater...its very easy to get wrapped up in mindless munching.

Last night I went out for my walk. I met up with some other 3 Dayers, and got in 6 miles in about 2 hours. Walking with other 3 dayers is really helpful because you get to talking about the 3 Day, fundraising, training, etc...and you really dont keep track of time. One guy I walked with is doing all 12 walks this year. They are all over the U.S. Its definitely inspiring listen to his travels, and fundraising efforts. It was so freaking hot out. The temps read 91 degrees when we were out there. And that was when the sun was going down. It actually didn't feel that hot till we got to walking, and than the sweat dripped. So I definitely got that sweaty workout I was looking for. I was literally soaked when I was done :)

Now back to my tug of war, (as you can see I can ramble on) so before I left for my walk I popped a smart ones in the microwave. The quesidilla, which was quite tasty. And figured I could grab a bowl of cereal or something when I got home. Nope. Grant, (the love of my life hehe), decided to order a pizza when I got home. I said, that's cool..I'm just going to eat a bowl of cereal. I should have known better. That pizza came, and the smell took me into a trance. So I said well Ill have one piece. So I had one piece and tried to eat it slowly since another one of my downfalls is eating to fast. And when I was done, I stopped and said...hmmm are you still hungry? And I immediately thought but it tasted so good, and smells divine..well Im not full. So grabbed another. DOH! As soon as I was done with that piece...I thought omgosh, I'm stuffed. Yep I surpassed the I'm not hungry, to I'm completely full. Mission NOT accomplished! Chalk it up to another lesson learned.

So the lesson I learned yesterday - (besides that I'm obsessed with food), there really is a difference eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm not. Now if I can just find that happy medium point I may just be able to win this tug of war!

6 comments:

Ripx180 said...

Nice analogy.... I also fall in the trap of eating to fast and then realize that I am stuffed. However, just having pizza in the house would be my downfall most likely (I love pizza). Luckily my wife is on board for the most part and tries to support my healthy eating. I am hoping to pass it along to my son also. On a side note you have to stop and have a slice of pizza or whatever you love on occasion or life would be so drab. Key word is on occasion though. Thanks for another good read and the reminder to slow down and stop when I am not hungry. :)

Kristen said...

It's freakin hot and humid here. I was having a hard time just walking a couple of blocks to the Thai restaurant.

Some would argue that you should eat before you're hungry? Unlike what I did today :)

Melissa said...

Great points! Defintely have a treat on OCCASION. Which than you have to realize when occasion is. Which Im sure gets easier as time goes on. Because sometimes eating that treat will make you feel like crap once my body gets use to more healthy foods.

And eating before you get hungry is a great one to...if I did that than I wouldnt be having these cravings..because my body will have the fuel before it needs it, right?

:)

Kristen said...

Supposedly...but it doesn't really work like that for me usually. Eating before I'm hungry just seems to remind me of how much I love food, so I want more. It's best if I just eat right as I'm starting to feel hungry. But that's just me.

Ripx180 said...

I have been trying to do the whole eat 6 meals a day thing. So that means you eat every 2.5 to 3 hours (when your not sleeping of course). Of course 2-3 of my meals are heavier and the other more snack like. Its supposed to speed up your metabolism and curb the crazy cravings. Seems to work pretty well when I do it right. Weekends have proven to be tuff for me. Usually when I feel a little more hungry than usual I am loosing weight. Ok I will quite blithering.

Rob Tucker said...

That's awesome that you're doing the 3-day. I'm trying to raise the money for a friend and I to do the same thing here in Detroit at the end of September. We're doing a fund raiser this weekend, a bowling party.

I hear you on the food thing - I grew up having to 'finish my plate' - it's a hard habit to break.