CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Eating Dinner WAY To Late

Morning Weigh In : 162 lbs.
5 day Average : N/A
Calories Consumed: 1739

I like the format some others are using on their daily posts. The calories posted will defintely help me feel more accountable. Im more likely to skip that last snack. Which leads me to late dinners... I tend to eat dinner 8pm or later. And seem to be going to bed around 9:30-10:00 pm. I know Im such an early sleeper. What can I say, I love sleep. I can try to blame it on my thyroid disease, but overrall...I love to sleep. Anyways, so I find myself eating way to late. Mostly Im out walking and get home late, or I just forget to eat till late. Unfortuntely for me, but fortunate for him...my boyfriend Grant can eat anytime of the day, and pretty much anything he wants.

Grant's metabolism is so high, that it seems like he burns fat every mili-second. Hes 6'1" and weighs about 150. Yeah. So here I am gaining weight just watching him eat! lol I do have to say that he has become more healthy concious in the last couple years, and he tries to make healthier meals when he cooks. I love him for that. Now that he is reaching 30, I think his metabbloism is slowing down. He has slowly started to gain weight, and has even talked about joining a gym. That would be awesome. :) The last few times he suggested things for us to do, they have been active activties. That makes me happy to. Maybe one day we can be those fit couples I always see out walking, jogging, biking, etc. So ultimately I am responsible for me, and only me. No one forces me to eat anything I dont want. So another thing to work on...make sure we are eating dinner at early time. :)

But last night Grant took on laundry duty, (our washer broke so its laundrymat time), and I stayed home and did a video. Tighter assets. And yes I felt my butt and thighs burning. But Im not to sore so maybe I didnt do as much as I could have. I should of went for a walk or jumped on my gazelle (the only machine I have at home), but nope I popped in a movie. Why did that still feel lazy to me? Although it felt like I sweated off a few pounds (we only have air in our bedroom). So didnt eat dinner till the movie was over at 9. Doh!

Tonight is 6 miles. I cant find a walking partner so I think Ill knock up my speed so I burn a few more calories.

Edit to add: Reading Kevins comment I wanted to dig more into this...increasing my speed on walks is increasing my heart rate which is why I would think it burns more calories..is that incorrect? My normal walks are usually not that intense. Just long. Since that is what the event Im training for more endurance so I can last walking 8 hours 3 days in a row. So when I train with others walking, it feels more like we are walking at a moderate pace, instead of a trying to lose weight pace. But I guess since we are walking at a moderate pace for a long period of time, that would be similar to walking faster a shorter amount of time?

12 comments:

Kevin A. said...

One thing I learned - speed has no bearing on calories, it's all distance. For me, I burn 200 calories if I walk a mile or if I run it. They key is running, but going longer than you would while walking - there's your extra calories.

Sorry, but that's one of the things I learned along the way, so I thought I'd mention it.

As for eating, if I eat anything past 9pm, I put weight on the next day. Everybody is different, I guess.

Melissa said...

So the key is running? So I would burn more calories running than walking?

Unfortunately all Im doing is walking, since Im training. And its always a minimum 1.5 hours and sometimes up to 3.5 hours. And still no loss yet :(

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob Tucker said...

Well, I do know a buddy's dropped like 20 pounds training for the 3-Day, so walking does have its job.

Either way, both of them beat being on the couch.

Ripx180 said...

So pretty much the faster you go the faster you burn calories. I have one of those polar heart rate monitors that tracks calories an hour etc. If I walk at 3.5 mph I will burn about 420 calories. If I run at 6mph it more like 1200 calories. Of course this all depends on your weight, height, age, and heart rate etc. This is on my treadmill which has a built in polar heart rate monitor where you wear a chest strap that sends data to the machine. So yeah I am all about running cause I get my cardio in much faster than if i was to walk and burn the same amount of calories.

Kristen said...

From what I've read and learned:

It's all about heart rate. Get your heart rate up to put you in a fat burning mode during your work out. If you get it up high enough, you will continue to burn more after your workout.

I've also noticed that running requires the use of more muscles.
I would think this plays a part in the calorie burning process.

Like Rob said...either is still better than sitting on the couch.

Anonymous said...

A nutritionist and trainer couple told me that if you walk 3 miles you burn X amount of calories. If you run 3 miles, you burn the exact same amount of calories. Like Kevin said, when you run, you go further in the same amount of time, and thus burn more calories (because you went a greater distance than if you had walked). Running is good for cardio endurance and, like Kristen said, muscle development.

The key to losing weight is your diet. Even if you couldn't exercise, you could lose weight by simply controlling what you eat. :)

By the way, welcome aboard, Melissa. :)

Melissa said...

Thats interesting Beck....I would like to pick your brain and see what some of those daily menus look like.

I dont want to be to, oh Im a newbie please share all your info with me, Ill owe my life to you....Ill slowly work my way up with picking your brains ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

David said...

Hi Melissa,

+1 to what Beck as said :

Run 1 mile or walk 1 mile ... same amount of calorie expenditure.

The trick about running though is that it will elevate you BMR (resting metabolism) which means you will continue burning calories after your workout. Interval training is even better at elevating and you know what's best ... muscle training. All these exercises also tend to increase, albeit slightly, muscle mass which will also elevate you BMR.

Walking alone is great exercise and will consume lots of calories ... but for building muscle mass and elevating you BMR, it's not that good. I'm not bashing walking, it is a great exercise.

What you could do, is run, bike or muscle train one day and alternate with a walk the other. I call that active recuperation. Instead of doing nothing on off days ... i often go for a walk.

Also, careful with very long walks (3 hours and +). If you're just starting, you could injure your joints and tendons. For the first few weeks, rest a day between two very long walks.

Hope i could shed some light or bring you new informations.

Thanks
David

David said...

Ok ... now i look like a fool.

I hadn't read you blog since the beggining and didnt know you were training for a 3-day cancer walk.

I also understand you already have a sound training program.

Well ... you bring so many kind comments to my blog i wanted to return the favor. I think i overdid it !

Will try to be more attentive in the future !

Melissa said...

Thanks for the explanation David...it defintely makes sense now.

You guys are so helpful :)

And thats exactly what Im doing now, crosstraining on my off days. I walk 4 days a week now, usually Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have been biking or doing strength videos at home on my off walking days.

And this is my third 3 day, so I defintely have been there before when jumping my mile increase to fast. That can be painful!

Ive been training since April, so defintely had time to build up to my 3 hours. And for the next 9 weeks I will be walking back to back days on the weekend, so I have myself well trained for the event, which is 3 days in a row, around 20 miles each day :)

Melissa said...

oops, just saw your second comment David. Disregard my comment. hehe

Thanks for the info on running vs walking. I think maybe I may start trying it in the mornings, since I do my walking in the evenings.