CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 26, 2007

My weekend has been just like a rollercoaster....

and all I can do is ride it right? Yep that's exactly what Ive done. I'm getting a little worried that once again my thyroid disease is going to be interfering with my progress. Now I know that can be such an easy cop out. But the fatigue is taking over my body once again. Today while I was out walking I could barely even keep my eyes open and I got over 8 hours of sleep last night. I think every day this week Ive taking some kind of nap, the last two days have been 3-4 hour naps! Ive been diagnosed as underactive for almost a year now, and there was only a 2 month period where I felt great. I'm starting to feel the same way I did when it was at its lowest. Which is when I started to gain weight again. That will not happen again. The scale was up again this morning which is frustrating since Ive been busting my butt the last few days. I am in the search for a new thyroid doctor simply because its been a year and I'm feeling no better and on the highest dosage of meds that I can be on. The drug I'm on is known to stall weight loss so am open to new suggestions. Hopefully I can find a doctor that I feel more secure with, that is looking out for my well being.

keep my eyes open, I was feeling I got some good miles in this weekend. 12 yesterday and 14.5 today. I think I might have seen Robs friend today. One of my friends that is doing the walk with me this year lives out on the border of St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe. We decided to walk in her neigbohorhood (after many debates on why I think its dumb to travel 40 minutes to walk somewhere else) and I saw this guy walking alone with a fanny pack..and thought hmmmm Rob walked out here with his friend I wonder if thats him. I know slim chance - it could have been anyone. Anyhoo, Today was a very very hard day for me. I struggled most of the walk. We did a 7.3 mile loop twice. Took a break in between but I think I didnt eat enough and bring enough snacks so my body was shutting me down! Literally it felt like it. It could also of been from the lack of walking last weekend. I had a pretty bad headache, and was nauseous the whole way and just thinking..when is this going to be done. When I got home Grant fixed me up some food and than I took a 3 hour nap and felt better..so maybe it was just lack of food. Its worrying me how my body is going to be reacting on the actual event.

Saturdays walk was much better - but so was the company I walked with. lol I met another walker, Jennifer, out in Royal Oak at 7am - vs walking at 8:45 am on Sunday. I think the earlier can make a difference sometimes. But on the walk Ill be walking all day so I shouldnt even care what time I walk! Anyhoo she mapped out a route for us in Royal Oak, 12 miles total. We took 3 breaks to stretch, pee, and snack. It was raining when we started, drizzling rain, and than it got heavier. But only lasted for an hour so wasnt to bad. I definitely think when I walk with this friend vs the friend on Sunday the walks seem to easier flow. Or maybe I was just having an off day. I know we stretch more which can be crucial at times to make it the next few miles.

My dog, Vinyl, broke her toe 8 weeks ago and has had a splint in. Its been a hard summer trying to keep her off of her foot! We found out yesterday that her toe is even worse than it was 8 weeks ago...the bone was slightly broken which was a slanted line on the xrays. It is now completely diagonal, its like 60 degrees worse than the first xray. So the orthopedic surgeon is going to look at the xrays on Monday and decided if we should do surgery and put pins in her toe, amputate her toe, or just see if it heals on its own. Shes was walking fine on it, but is now limping again. Oy!

And my weekend has ended on such a great note...its really left me in such a happy state. My tiger game fundraiser brought in half of what I expected..and I was really hoping that those fundraisers would help me bring me closer to my goal. I try not to ask to many friends and family for donations since Ive been doing the walk year after year. So I was about $600 away. I was trying to figure out one last fundraiser, and Jennifer even offered to share her car wash fundraiser with me. If I can bring some people by to help out next weekend. Than low and behold a 3 Day Angel decided to step into my life. When I got home yesterday I had an email from another walker I met this year, Sarah. She helped me with my tiger game fundraiser and I helped her out with her games as well. Her friend is on the medical crew and got talked into having this jewelry fundraiser. Well she ended up raising $1500! She isnt required to fundraise a minimum so wanted to share with some walkers. Sarah told her how Ive been struggling this year with fundraisers and her friend donated $400 to me! I tell you, the 3 day community is such an amazing group of people. And once again I am reminded why I am involved in such an amazing event. :)

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Very cool! I was amazing - this is the first year I've been involved in anything related to the 3-day (just helping out my buddy), and I'm amazed at the network of people.

For what it's worth, if you still need to raise some, go to Mongolian BBQ - they have a great program to help with fundraisers - you go behind the grill for a few hours and you keep anything in the tip jar. Jim and I did this, in 3 hours we eneded up with just under 500 bucks.

Marcol said...

Hey Melissa! Long blog... :) I didnt quite read it all yet the part that I did get through for now I will respond. Sorry to hear about the thyroid issue, I knew someone who had their thyroid removed so I know how tired you can get. Are you on medication for it? Have you had your levels checked? Dont let this get out of control.

I hope youre feeling stronger and more energized soon. I'll be back to finish reading :)