CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 17, 2007

Life After the 3 Day

This has been on my mind for the last few weeks. In previous years life after the 3 day isnt the greatest. First theres the sadness/depression of this incredible event being over. Second, I usually drop a few pounds while training for the 3 day, and than its over and BAM! I lose all control of balancing my eating and exercise, and the weight comes back and than some.

I spend so much of my year training for this event, and than when its over its like I get depressed, and just mope around and eat. (emotional eating rearing its ugly head) My exercise gets restricted in a way (I really think this is all mental)and I dont know if Im just burnt out from all the walking Ive done, or if I just dont care. But when you continue to eat like your training for a 60 mile walk, and stop almost all exercise..well the result isnt pretty.

Now previous years Ive mostly toned up vs losing weight. Id drop 5 pounds or so, but mostly I gained a lot of muscle. But this year I have lost more weight and have toned up quite nicely. Well imo. :) SO Id like to keep the trend going. Look at this as a jump start.

I do feel that this year wont be as drastic since I have F.A.T for one. And because Im at a point right now where Im aware of my food intake, and doing other exercise besides walking. But when I think about after my walk is over, I feel a little overwhelmed. Right now I feel obligated to be out there walking, and after this event is over Ill only be obligated to myself to get in cardio. That should be enough right? Sometimes I wonder if it is. If it was that simple, where did I go wrong previous years? I dont have a gym membership, and dont think we can work one into the budget at this point. So that will be another challenge in trying to get in my cardio. Especially with the winter approaching. Perhaps I should make a membership part of the budget. It is for my health. It is more of a need, than want, in regards to my health.

I finally have an interview for a second, part time job. Its tomorrow. And while Im hoping it works out for me, it will also put another stressor on continuing this healthy lifestyle. Its next in line of things that derail my progress. I usually pick up a second job, work way to many hours and miss workouts, and eat the dreaded fast food. This job is going to be 25-29 hours a week, and is a receptionist job for a counseling office. Maybe Im jumping ahead of myself since I havent even gone on the interview yet, but if I get the job Ill be tied up weeknights until 9pm. From what I understand I will have Friday and Sundays off. And my Saturdays I will work 9am - 3pm. So Saturday evenings will be my off night to. So I will have the challenge of trying to work in some form of exercise with that schedule.

When I think about all of this, its a little stressful. I wonder how Ill do it. Will I be able to do it? I read some of your blogs and some of you have busy lifestyles, and I am impressed with how well you balance things. Than I reflect onto my life and think....when things get busy or tough...I always bail on what is important. My health. I really want to become that healthy person I want to be. I really want to be able to balance everything. But how do I know if Im overdoing it. If Im taking on to much. If Im setting myself up to fail. Getting a second job is a necessity at this point in my life. At least for 4-6 months. So how do I make this work for Melissa?

Sorry if this blog is all over and hard to read...I feel like its scattered thoughts, just like my brain!

6 comments:

Ripx180 said...

I say if you like to train for a event pick a different one to train for in the 3 day off season. Try a 5 k about 2-3 months out. You are in good shape with all the walking you do and I bet with some training you could run a 5k pretty easily. It would probably even leave you in better cardiovascular shape for next years 3day. Plus you get cool t-shirts you can wear :). From your postings you sound like a 3day machine. I bet your body would really benefit from a different type of training to mix things up (running, biking, swimming whatever). I'm a firm believer that you don't need a gym to succeed. All you need to do is do something and continue to be conscious about what your eating. This is gonna be your best fitness year yet, I know it... If you start slacking you will have to face the wrath of my pesty comments.

Anonymous said...

I totally feel your stress!!! I've so been there and it's not fun. But hang in there and keep your chin up and you'll get through it.

As far as fitting your healthy lifestyle into your busy life...it's probably 90% mental. If you view eating right and exercising as essential as taking a shower, then you'll make time for it and arrange other things around it. I know it's so much easier said than done.

You'll figure it out. You've come too far to just give it up. ;)

BTW, best of luck with your interview!!!

Rob Tucker said...

It's all mental. I think Rips got a great idea there - if you find that training for these events help you, go out and find another event to train for.

You're doing great, and you're right, you've always got FAT to lean on.

Marcol said...

Best wishes for the job interview on tomorrow.

Youre on the right path in not getting derailed when the 3 day is over by your anticipation for what comes next. A gym is not necessary only an able body and willing mind to get it done no matter what. So without the gym what can you do? what do you like to do? Mold your exercise around these two things.

As Beck has said you have to view eating healthy as essential as taking a shower - when you do youll do whatever it takes to make it happen. Echoing Beck again this is a lifestyle so we cant just drop it and pick it up. We have to just roll with it and see it through inspite of long days, obstacles, stress etc...

I think a good person to maybe immitate would be Rebecca. She has a very busy schedule yet she manages to get it all done - proper meal planning, training, school, a job and loses like 1% of her weight per week. Considering that, I think she may be able to give you some pointers on what it takes.

You dont have to go the fast food route if you plan for your day. Boarshead commercial says if you dont make your lunch, someone will. So invest in a cooler of some sort - they have cute girly ones :)

Running, walking, body weight exercises, tae bo and so many other things are available and can be done in minutes. Check out my past blogs to find some body weight circuits that you can do in like 7 minutes.

where theres the will, there sure the hell is a way! Sounds like youre in a different mental place than years before so you should be ok. I'll keep my eye on you ;)

Dont forget to holla at Rebecca - Im sure shes more than willing to help.

swankywanker said...

Being aware of the after-walk doldrums is helpful. Make an effort to get out and walk after the walk, get out with friends, anything that will keep your spirits up. I'm sure other walkers will have the same anxeity, maybe you could hook up with some of them to continue training. You're doing two great things: working on yourself and raising money/awareness for a great cause. Pat yourself on the back and keep on moving!

billy said...

I agree with those who say train for a 5k or something. You seem to do best when you have an event you're training for. I'm sure there are plenty of other charity-related things you can do as well.

And you really don't need a gym, there are tons of bodyweight exercises you can do if you can set aside the time and find a space to do them (which you can!)

It's all about getting out of the "Can I do this?" mentality and into the "I can and I will do this" one.