CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

38th Annual Belle Isle New Years Fun Run

Im so glad that I went out on NYE and did this race! It was just what I needed. Grant and I headed down around 2:45, and got right into a parking spot around 3:10. No traffic at all actually, which surprised me since there is only one in and out of the area. There was around 1200 runners, and the walk was actually starting at 3pm, where the run started at 4pm, so that made it more roomy on the route.

We ended up getting some snow the night before, so I was worried how the weather conditions might be. But the sun came out and most of the snow melted. There was very little wind, and the temps were pretty mild, at least to me. So it was perfect running weather. I started in the middle of the pack, and we didnt have the chip to time ourselves. Basically there was just a clock when you crossed the finish line. I had my watch on to, so I timed myself that way as well. I got across the start line rather quickly, maybe within the first 5 seconds. Way different than the Turkey Trot where it took a good 5 minutes.

The route was relatively flat and was a nice run. This race was on a island/park called Belle Isle, and the route was closed to traffic. So it felt like a run through a park. I had really bad side stitches through the first two miles, and I even started to get a pain in my abdomen. I slowed down my pace, and took some deep breaths and turned up my music and the pain went away, or I just forgot about it. :p After mile 2 a lot of people started to walk. I really wanted to, but said no way. I focused on the ducks nearby for a mile, they were pretty entertaining. :) Than around mile 3 we were rounding around to the finish line. It was a big loop around, but you could see the finish line the entire time (what a tease eh?) I saw Grant around mile 3, so I smiled for a picture and gave him the thumbs up. I glanced at my watch and saw that I was hitting mile 3 right at my Turkey Trot 5k time - 30:46. Than I thought I can do one more mile in 15 minutes and maintain my normal 4 mile time of 45:00. At that point I got some energy so pushed my speed up a notch.

Luckily for me, this is when Ritchie Hawtins set came on my ipod. It was a live set, so I could hear people cheering and clapping in the background. And I kept looking around and thought it was people along the route, and than I finally realized it was in my headphones. LOL I had my own cheering section. It pushed me through that last mile :) When I rounded the corner and saw the finish line I glanced at the clock. It was still a little blurry but looked like it said 39:10. I thought, no shit! Look at that. So I sprinted to the end, and crossed at 40:45 :) My watch read 40:40. I felt like I really struggled through some of that run, so was surprised I broke my best time yet!

I was pretty geeked the rest of the day :) I cant think of a better way to end my year! I think Im starting to really dig this running gig.

Here some pictures....a few came out a little blurry though.....

Pre-Race Picture

Very chilly Ninja Grant

Can you find me? Heres a hint...Im by the little boy in the blue coat
Mile 3 - Good to Go


Almost to the finish line


And a few more steps....

  • Another race completed - Happy Mel

5k - Check. 4 Miler - Check. And next on the agenda is a 10k. :) Yeah I may have a little bit of running fever, but its so much fun!

P.S. In other exciting news. I got a Jillian Michaels DVD for Christmas and tried it for the first time today. She totally kicked my ass. I was dripping in sweat when I was done, and you know how that dripping in sweat always feels like a reward of a good workout to me. :)

5 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

What can I say? I wish I would have made that race, I'm really regretting the fact that I pussed out. Nice work, Mel.

layla said...

you look really good in those pics, Mel! really rally good! keep it up- I hope this truly becomes your year.

Ripx180 said...

loving your blog today Melissa :) totally gets me all amped up for a run. You are looking great, like you belong out there running with those fit people. I hope someday I feel like I look like I belong out there.

Brian said...

that is awesome, congrats. you're looking great too.

nice work!

Rebecca said...

You better do it melissa! Congrats on starting the year off doing what felt good to you, and braving the cold to get it done. You're a soldier!