CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 3, 2008

I think I may be going insane


Something about running gets to me. In a good way. So Im sticking to it. I have felt great while running, and for someone who has arthritis knees I didnt think this would ever be possible. My orthopedic surgeon said I could, but I never believed him. But with his encouragement and detailed plan, he was right. I love the way it makes me feel. I love how I make certain choices when I know Im running the next day, or ran that day. I like the struggle while on the run, and than the awesome feeling when Im done. I love how I almost feel like an actual athlete while at a race. Sure I played sports in high school, but I SUCKED. I was better at band, which was fine by me. GO BAND GEEKS! :p

But I always wanted to be athletic. Who would of thought now Im actually feeling like one?

So today I think I may have crossed the level of insane. As I read Robs journal, and than we exchanged some emails back and forth about the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon I started to get inspired. Could I truly do two Breast Cancer 3 Day events one month apart from each other, and than turn around and run a half marathon only 19 days later? Seems insane if you ask me. So as I tried to be level headed about it, Robs excitement definitely proved that we have the heart to do it. So I think Im game. Actually I know Im game. So as crazy as it sounds, on October 19th I will be running in a half marathon. Today I took my 3 day walking training plan, and took a half marathon running training program, and tried to come up with a master plan. A big training plan to incorporate both running and walking, and getting in what I need where I need it. Its still a work in progress. But I think its totally doable. And the friends Ive shared this idea with think I totally can do it to.

So as I got to thinking more....I thought well I could do a few 5ks, maybe a few 10ks in between now and when I start training for the 3 day. That will probably be around late April/early May. Than I thought, what if I do a half marathon before my 3 day training starts. I have the time, and it would keep me focused. And I know of a half marathon that is exactly 13 weeks away, the Martian Marathon. I walked in it a few years ago as training for the 3 day, and loved it. So I talked to a few running friends, one of them referred me to a 12 week program. I looked it over and thought this is soooo doable.

So on April 6th I will be running in the Martian Half Marathon. :) So lets get this straight...

  • April 6th - I will be running in the Martian Half Marathon
  • August 15th - 17th I will be walking in the Boston 3 Day
  • September 26h - 28th I will be walking in the Michigan 3 Day
  • October 19th - I will be running in the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon
Yep, Im officially insane. Motivated, focused, happy, geeked, excited, and inspired. But maybe a little insane.

:)

This is so my year. Just you watch ;)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to do these too. Lets talk Kristen into it.

Rebecca said...

You might be insane, but at least you're motivated. There are some people around who do this type of stuff on a regular basis - you might want to do some research to see exactly what you're getting into before you just jump in. That could be a recipe for injury and later discouragement. Not trying to be debbie downer, just don't want to see your excitement wane later on in 2008. Do some research, come up with a realistic plan, and do what you can do, plus a little extra. Have fun!

Rob Tucker said...

Boo! I had this entire blog comment that I sent to you, and now it's not there. Blogger ate it again.

So, I'll just say that you rule, you're a hell of a motivation and you're going to knock this out of the park. Can't wait to run these things with you.

Melissa said...

Rebecca, thanks for the concern. I actually have quite a few friends that run halfs, and full marathons yearly. They have been helping me figure out a training schedule.

That is another reason why I want to do the half in April, to see what Im getting into and see if its doable in October.

As for the two 3 days, not worried about that one bit. This is my fourth year walking and Ive mastered my training for this event.

Ripx180 said...

Totally stoked for you Melissa. I have no doubt that you can do this. If you train for your half marathon with as much dedication and intensity as your 3 days then you will have no problem at all. Looking forward to reading your blog in 08. You Rock!

Brian said...

you kick ass!
seriously. It's nice to read someone elses thoughts about running and getting into it. I feel the same way. I wish you the best of luck.

You and Rob have mentioned a few times the breast cancer three day walk. i really need to look into if they have one of those around here. I'd like to do something like that.

swankywanker said...

Your flavor of insanity is delicious. Why not run a half marathon? Shit. I'm impressed. You're cooking up a good recipe over there, miss Melissa.

Marcol said...

Athlete, you are becoming! Good for you Melissa, good for you!

kyle said...

I was a "good" athlete in High School and College, and I pale in comparison to what you're doing here. That's awesome. All of you talking about the love of running is starting make me feel left out :). I suppose that I give it a try and see how it works out. I know how Brian felt about it before he started, and I see how well a self proposed "band geek" is doing, I guess there must be something to it. Is it possible that you've inspired me to be bitten by the running bug? We'll see ;).