CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Back to the Basics

So when I weighed in at the end of the month in December I broke even at 146. I was fine with that. But how in the hell did I jump from 146 to 149 from Monday to Thursday? Ridlicious. I was eating a little better than I did over the holidays, but I think a lot of it was mindless eating. I wasnt really paying attention to what I was putting in my mouth. Oh Im bored, Ill eat this. Or oh Ill snack on this. So I decided to start tracking my calories again. I hate this daunting task but it is the one thing that is black and white, nothing like that number staring back at you yelling, I told you so.

Its kind of interesting to see that I would go grab something to eat and than think, I have to log this....and put it right back. So it has helped me be more conscious of what Im putting in my mouth. And the scale is moving right back down. Amazing eh? Not really...its not rocket science :p It really is a numbers game.

So last night when I got home I took a nap. I havent been sleeping very well at night. Going to bed later than planned, waking up late, mind not shutting off when I go to bed, etc. So Ive been dragging ass all week. I got home later than usual yesterday from work so it was dark out when I got home. I decided to do cross training instead of a jog. I put in the Jillian DVD I got for Christmas. I was able to do a few more counts in the reps than I could last time. Its a circuit style workout. Jillian is pretty mellow (compared to seeing her on TBL) in this video but she still pushes you. One spot I thought I was going to die with these mountain climber things, and she said push those knees up high. As high as you can. Your only hurting yourself by not pushing your limits. You bought this dvd for a reason, now higher! Damn..is that the truth. So I pushed it. I felt pretty damn good when I was done, which was nice since my mood wasnt so nice when I started.

Im looking into buying some dumbbells for at home. Im thinking probably some of the adjustable ones so I can grow with them. Ive been doing some research on them, but still not sure which ones to buy. A friend of mine that is a pretty intense weightlifter was referring me to a few sites, and giving me suggestions for programs. Ive always been really intimidated by weightlifting, and never really stuck to a program. So I want to give this a go again.

Also, Ive found a 5k Im going to run on Feb 3, 2007. Its a Superbowl 5k. So this is Race 1 out of the 12 races I will be running this year :)

I could keep rambling, but tummys rumbling...time for lunch.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Melissa,

I've always had a fear of weights and bulking but since I'm not much of a cardio fan I've been lifting 8, 10, 12 lbs for about two months now and I think I look good. I've read on many sites that as long as you're on a reducing diet you will not bulk up. In fact, it is very, very difficult for most women to become bulky from weight lifting unless they're taking various substances. I'm looking forward to using 15, 20 lbs weights in the next couple of weeks.

inked said...

DB's are great to have around. You would be surprised how exhausting of a workout you can get with just one set of them. I think that everybody does a little mindless eating around the holidays, but you are right, as soon as you start keeping track of the calories your getting it can be an eye opening experience.

Rob Tucker said...

Hey, I'm all about that race - 9am is plenty of time.

Also, I IM'ed you a few things - Bloomer State Park is doing this weird race where it's like a 2 mile race with 'mystery events' and 'bootcamp' in the middle of it. I don't know if it's 2 miles or 2 miles both ways - either, sounds like one hell of a challenge.

Anonymous said...

Kristen and I were talking about getting some of those adjustable dumbbells too.

If you get any let me know how you like them.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could afford those dumbbells where you lock in the weight you want and use them. Beats having a million different weights around or adding/removing plates all the time. :)

Anyway, you're so right about counting calories. As much work as it is, it's definitely worth it to keep yourself in check!

Candy Girl said...

coun ting is a must for me too. unfortunatly i have to weigh and measure everything as well. i like how you turned down something after you realized you would have to log it.