CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 7, 2008

Structure


I love structure. Sometimes I complain when my schedule is jam packed, but that is really when Im the most productive and see the best results. So when Ive had this down time of just winging it so to speak, its been rough. When my schedule is slow, Im lazy. Its just a fact. So starting this running program, and soon starting my 3 day training definitely gets me giddy inside, and screams, "Yes! finally some structure!" And it makes me very, very happy :)

So this is week 1 of my half marathon training. Ive declared Mondays as rest day, since my weekends will be my longest days. I also have my Lia Sophia meetings on Mondays, so I didnt
want to miss a run due to that. (especially since its an hour away). I am following the Hal Higdons Novice Half Marathon training program. You actually dont get up to a full 13 miles, which kind of concerns me. But I had two friends last year follow this plan for their first half mary, and they were pretty happy with it. So Im taking their word :)

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Jennifer, my 3 day walking partner, loves to play with spreadsheets. While I can say I do like spreadsheets because I love organization, Im not totally in love with playing with them when I get home from work. (especially since I deal with them all day!) :p So when Jen wanted to plan out our training schedule for the 3 day walks this year, I was more than happy to let her indulge herself in the world of excel. So she took the suggested training plan from the 3 day, and than combined it with the training we did last year, and came up with a pretty sweet master plan. As I looked at the finished spreadsheet a grin appeared ear to ear. How big of a dork am I when I saw how awesome this plan is and I think...more structure!!!! With the two walks combined, looks like we will be aiming for 860 miles trained. :)

Its like a fresh of breath air. :) Okay, yes Im a dork.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Heh, I'm with you on needing structure. Something always feels off when I dont have it.

hmm, are you a Virgo?

Rob Tucker said...

Brian, that's innappropriate to ask.

Wait, you said virGO.

My mistake :)

Geoff said...

I need that structure as well. If I don't have it, I won't do the work. That's why I like working out with other people, they provide accountability and kick your ass when you act lazy.

kyle said...

860 training miles!! WOW, what an impressive feat that would be. I guess you don't really think about that stuff until you actually get it down on paper. Awesome!!

Rebecca said...

I am a structure nut too - I crave it, and I don't function well without it. It has definitely helped me to lose weight over the past 15 months!

I like halhigdon - when I trained for a 10K I ran almost, but not quite 6 miles (5.5), and I was fine. I'm sure you will be too. I plan to use his program to train for a half-marathon in May. Good luck!