CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 1, 2007

31 Days to Healthier Holidays


So I get daily emails from Spark People, and they are pretty informative sometimes. Little tidbits I never thought of. I got this email from Spark People the other day titled "31 days to healthier holidays." I thought what a great article! So to help me be more accountable in blogging every day, and to make this my best month yet Im going to post each day with the healthy tip of the day :)

"Take Inventory. Identify all the situations (office parties, mall food courts, family gatherings) that make it difficult for you to eat healthy during the holiday season. Make a plan for staying on track in every situation."

This is a really good tip. Prepare for all those holiday situations so I can succeed in each one, and not consume a bazillion calories. With all the family, work, and friend get togethers this month this may be a daily task for me!

I thought I was going to be able to sleep in today, but Bandito thought otherwise. So I was up at 8:30. Jen and I were going to walk but I wanted to sleep in, instead. I should of known that wasnt going to work out! lol So I shall go for a jog instead. Im pretty excited because this afternoon Im going to see the musical, Hairspray. This is my all time favorite musical. And this is going to be my first musical show. So I think Im in for a treat :) And tonight we are heading to the bar to see Claude VonStroke. Grant and I have been dying to hear some good live music lately, so I hope this fills that need :) We are having a little drama in our circle of friends, so I hope it doesnt get out of hand. I dont think it will. But theres a lot of hurt emotions going around, and well that can either end on a good note or bad note. Last night brought more clarity to me in regards to life, friends, etc. Life is to short and precious to harbor anger and hurt feelings inside. At some point, you just have to let things go. And I hope Grant can do that tonight. Enough about that, but this situation has been stressing me out. *sigh*

Last night I had my Lia Sophia fundraiser, and it went really well. I didnt think it would though! I invited about 35 people, and as of Wednesday night I had only 5 coming. Talk about a shitty turnout eh? I couldnt believe how many people canceled at the last minute or just wouldnt give me a concrete answer. I did start to let the negative talk come into place, and thought oh boy if this is what my fundraiser year is going to look like I have a long year ahead of me! But I quickly turned that thought around. If I have to do 20 fundraising events, so be it. I will make my goal of $4400 :) So the party started at 6:30, my first guest to arrive was at 7:05 and that was my mom and two sisters! lol Jens sister showed up shortly after that. And my neice, Monica, went to my house but the party was at Jens house. So she was a little late, but she brought a friend so yay to that! And than right after her was my coworker and her mother. So better turnout than I expected. So we got the party started a little over an hour later than planned. But thats all good :) We showed a video of opening ceremonies. A walkers husband made this DVD of opening ceremonies, closing ceremonies, pit stops, camp, cheering stations, the works. Its very cool, but very emotional..well for me. I try to watch it a couple times a month to get my 3 day fix. :) As I watched it all I could think of was Dawn, and tried to keep it together. The Lia Sophia advisor has breast cancer, and had a double mastectomy 4 weeks ago. So this event was special to her as well. Well the show went on, and in the end I ended up surpassing anything I thought I was going to! The party brought in almost $900 in sales :) I get 15% of that towards my fundraising goal. The advisor auctioned off a discontinued piece, and I made $50 off that to. I still have a few outside orders to get so may have potential to make a little bit more. A couple hundred bucks in my fundraising account for just having a girls night of fun, thats the best fundraising you can get :) It was a great jump start to my fundraising. Im really pleased with the outcome in regards to the attendance. Imagine if all those people would of actually came...I would of blown the sales away! One event down, many many more to go :) And on another great note, since I did over $600 in sales that qualifies me as an advisor. So Im good to go now! Woohoo! Show me the money :)

Heres a few pictures from last night:

This is Me, Pam, and Jen - (jens tree was amazing!)

Here is Me and Jen


And here is my mom, me, my two sisters Robin, and Kelly


My eating lately has been pretty decent, but theres always room for improvement. Im not gonig to indulge in anything this weekend. Ill make my trip to the fruit market, and restock my shelves with some healthy snacks. My workouts have been sporadic. But Im going to do some strength training after I post this, and than go out for a 3 mile jog. December, I own you. Im going to making a dent in these last 10 pounds this month. That I promise!

ETA: Just ran 3 miles in 29:46 - a week off made it TOUGH. But damn did it feel good when I was done :) Ill need to start increase my miles if Im going to finish the 4 mile race on NYE :)

2 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

A few things.

I love those tips, it's one of those things we need to really take more serious. Find out where our faults are, and fix them. It seems like we 'settle for ok' when that shouldn't be enough.

Definitely love seeing you ready to blog every day. Accountability, my friend. Love it.

Great work with the fundraising. After the holidays we should get together and figure out the shirts and such - I'll be doing a Mongolian BBQ fundraiser (Jim and I) in January where all money in the tip jar goes to us, so I'll let you know when I have an exact date.

Keep up the good work!

Jim McCoy said...

Love to see the tips, Melissa, and I'm glad things are going well. I really hope to see you and Grant at our fund raiser, too.