CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Transition, am I really doing that finally?

I started off my morning with a 8 mile walk with my walking partner, Jennifer (from the 3 day). This is the first time we've seen each other since the 3 day so we had tons to chat about, including our plans for the 3 day in 2008. Looks like we are walking Michigan for sure, and Boston is looking like the second candidate. We both really really want to walk in D.C., but that would mean no walking in Michigan. And I simply will be so sad if I don't walk in Michigan. And fundraising talk of course. Good times. Good Times. It was sooo chilly out, 38 degrees when we started. But it warmed up, I ended up ditching a layer ;)

Tomorrow I will finish off my week with another walk/run. I did that on Tuesday night and it was quite the challenge again. I think I need to just get over myself. Here's what happened. Day 2 completed, and it was a challenging day so I'm proud I stuck it out!

My thyroid has really been exhausting me lately. So I came home and took a nap. I asked Grant to wake me up when he got home around 6, and planned on going to jog. I know the sun sets around 7 now, so I had to make sure I wasn't putzing around or going back to sleep. Sure enough it took a few times to get me out of the bed, (damn thyroid), but I said you have to go workout lady! You will feel better.

So I layered up and headed out to the track. When I got there which was later than Tuesday, the track is flooded with those hot football guys again. Oh no. They are sprinting up and down the track to. I was like oh no. I am not going on there! Luckily the track is by our community center and they have a 1.25 mile bike path around it. So I figure what the heck, Ill just go around that. As I'm finding a parking spot Im noticing some of the soccer fields are filled up, with just people messing around. Not games or anything. I said Melissa they do not care about you. lol Get over yourself!

So I park the car, even though I almost drove it out of the parking lot and called it a day. I get out of the car and its freezing out. I said to myself, you better get going so you can warm up! So off I went.

5 minute warm up walk
60 seconds jog
90 seconds walk
Repeat for 30 minutes
5 minute cool down

That equaled 2 times around the path - 2.5 miles

At one point though, I passed the roller hockey rink (i know this place has everything eh?) and the guys were getting ready to leave so they were all lined up by the bike path, and staring at me. Or so I thought. (I'm sure its all in my head.) So I pushed a 2.5 minute jog, but followed a 3 minute walk after it. lol As soon as I got around the corner where they couldn't see me I walked and was like PHEW!

I'm silly ain't I?

It turns out that those football players is a mens team that plays flag football. When I got around the path once, I saw all the lights around the track light up for their game. I'm glad I didn't decided to go jog on there, talk about being on the spotlight! teee hee

Another small victory, Grant wanted Arbys and before I left I thought...hmmm that sounds good I haven't had that in awhile. I know, I know. I bow my head at that thought to! But once I got driving there I was like no way. If I want to make my October weight loss goal I can not eat Arbys. And I had an awesome workout, why waste it? So I stopped at Boston Market and got some turkey and beans, and still got grant his arbys. Go Me!

Its feel great to be making such positive moves. Daily I see myself making decisions I never thought Id make. Its like my head is starting to clear from the cloudiness and Im seeing the transition of what I need to do day to day, that transition to a healthy lifestyle. Im definitely having more good days than bad, and that feels great :) I know Ill have my bad days, but than I just have to reflect on the good ones, and blog of course ;)

9 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Great choices all around. Way to be!

Jay said...

yep, you're right back on track. Nice job!

Kristen said...

You're doing so well. I need to start drawing on some of your resolve.

Anonymous said...

Go you!

Rebecca said...

Good choices day by day is what it's all about. Good for you!

swankywanker said...

Keep up the great run/walk routine, and you'll be running in no time. It took me less than two months to go from where you are now to running 50 mins at 5mph. It really does get easier and more enjoyable. And I know it's easier said than done, but don't worry about what other people think about you while you're running. Whenever I see someone out of shape getting out there, I admire that they're doing it at all. I figure that's what everyone else is thinking about me, too.

Anonymous said...

What Swanky said. Pretty much word for word. :)

I'm so proud of you getting out there and doing what you know you've got to do and not giving in to the many, many perfectly valid excuses. You're going to be tearing up the track before you know it! Keep it up!!

Ripx180 said...

Sounds like your doing awesome Melissa. I am a guy and hear you on feeling like people are laughing at me when I am out running. Luckily I have a treadmill and can hide inside my house and run. One of these days I will adventure back out to hopefully feel good about myself and running. Nice job on dodging the Arbys. We used to have boston market out here but something happened and they are not longer around. I loved that place too.

Marcol said...

Way to go Melissa. Like everyone has said you dodged the hurdles and came out a winner. I loved reading about the process you went through, you pushed in spite of the many obstacles that could have stopped you.

Im with Swanky, stick with the walk/run and youll be a track star before you know it :)