CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

Sometimes People Come In Your Life



"Sometimes people come into your life and you know right away that they were meant to be there, to serve some sort of purpose, teach you a lesson, or to help you figure out who you are or who you want to become. "

Greg is one of those people. I met Greg through the 3 day community. This past year I joined other 3 dayers in a fundraiser contract to work the Detroit Tiger games, and that is where I met Greg. He is a pit stop crew captain on the walk, and his team is named after his mom, Betty's Boobs. So their team picked up many many of the Tigers games to work. I ended up helping him out with some of his games, and he helped me out with some of my games. Our first communication was through email, and with that first initial contact I could feel the warmth, dedication, and love this man had. I knew he was someone meant to come into my life :)

Betty's Boobs ended up raising over $20,000 this year! They not only raised enough for their team of 8, but were able to help 15 other walkers meet their minimum so they could walk to. Betty is a 21 year survivor , and also a 4 year survivor. Its been 19 years since her first mastectomy, and 3 years since the second. Unfortunately, the cancer is back- this time metastasized in her lungs. She was able to come out this year to the walk and cheer on her family. But that was her last outing. She had a extremely fast decline in her health and is now in hospice.

Last night Greg and his team had a get together for all the people the helped out with his fundraising. It was at Snookers, a pool hall/bar. I couldnt wait to catch up with him and his family. I couldnt think of a better way to spend my night than with some of my 3 day family. Nothing like sharing stories, and getting to know each other on a more personal (outside of the 3 day level) over some food and drinks. (I did good with a small piece of sub and 2 beers) This mans heart is so big, as is the rest of his family. I truly admire all of them, and their amazing strength during this very difficult time.

Greg as well as many of the people Ive met through the 3 day have really helped me refocus on who I want to be, who Im becoming. From time to time, I lose track and go back to the way Melissa use to be. Ill admit the cattiness, drama, and the negativity sometimes can get the best of me. Its so easy to resort back to the way you use to be and get wrapped up in what I try so hard not to go back to. And I believe that is when people come into your life for a reason. Just when I start to notice..hey melis you dont want to go there...take a step back and look at whats going on...and one of my angels steps right in. And than I refocus. I remember what is important to me, and who I want to be. I feel so comfortable, inspired, alive...simply at home when Im around these people. It sometimes is hard to explain... but the love, the bond, the connection, the hope, the drive, the positivity. I consider myself lucky that these people have come into my life, and am so happy to call these people my friends. :)

Okay, I'll stop. As you can tell by now, the 3 day really has changed my life. And I couldnt be more thankful for it. Sorry Im always going on and on about it :p

Now one last story that Im super excited about. Tonight we get to pay it forward. On the 3 day, a local High School Football team came out and volunteered at camp. They put up our tents, carried our bags to our tents, walked around filling water, cheering us into camp, carrying our dinner plates to the dining tent, etc. Well another amazing woman I met on the 3 day, Jen, contacted the boys coach, and found out when their last game of the season is. Which is tonight. The athletic director worked with her and we are going to surprise the football team. We are going to arrive right when they go back into the locker room before the game so they cant see us, and than line up behind the banner that the boys will run through. They have no idea, so when they come running through the banner we will be lined up on both sides cheering them in like they cheered us in. We all our wearing our victory shirts, and bringing noise makers and just making it a big cheering section :) I cant wait!

Life is good. :)

8 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

What a great blog, all around. Great stories, Mel.

Maybe by this time next year, I'll meet that Greg guy. Sounds like he's really doing something that matters with this.

billy said...

I feel like you and I have a lot in common. We both have ways that we want to be, and ways that we try not to slip back into (personality-wise). It's key to have those people who remind you who you want to be so you can move toward that.

Jay said...

That's really cool what you're doing for the football team.

Great blog!

swankywanker said...

inspirational blog. I'm impressed with your dedication to improving yourself from the inside out.

Marcol said...

Nice blog. Have fun tonight with the football team, great way to pay them back!

Kristen said...

Cancer sucks.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Melissa, Greg sounds like an awesome guy! And you're an awesome person, too. The fact that you're so into such an amazing cause is truly inspirational.

You won't slip into your old self. You're too aware of who you were and now, who you want to be. Keep striving toward that goal...don't look back. :)

Completely off-topic, but to cross off your goals, put a < del >before the goal and a < /del > after the sentence (but don't use spaces).

Jim McCoy said...

This was a sweet blog, Melissa, and it really is an indication of how amazing 3 Day people really are. You are so right about the Romeo Football team, those guys were great, and I saw them eating their first day there, and made sure I told them how great they were. It's great to know that you guys went out to cheer them on, it's just too bad I work Friday nights and couldn't be there. I gotta ask too: What was the final score? I hope you got to see them win one. They deserve it.