CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Step It Up



Yes it is time to Step It Up! Seriously. This week Ive been in some sort of limbo stage. Trying to figure out what Im doing, where Im going, what I want. I mentioned before about the 3 day blues. I definitely have that. Its like I built up so much to it and BAM! its over. Not to mention the emotional attachment I have to it.

So while dealing with that, Ive been half-assing it this week. For sure. Monday I took the day off considering I did walk 60 miles over the weekend. When I saw the scale dropped I got way to excited and sort of gave myself leeway, which resulted to my eating on Tuesday was not the greatest. I finished off this lovely day by being a couch potato and sat around the house watching tivo all night. Nice. That will really get me trim and fit eh?

I knew I had to stop. So on Wednesday I ate a little better, and when I got home pumped up the tires on my bike and decided to take it for a ride. Remember my bike tire fiasco a little while back? Well I got my dads air compressor and the tires blew up in no time. I rode the route I use to walk for my 6 mile walks. I managed about 40 minutes. Wow my butt hurt so bad when I was done. I enjoyed the bike ride so may invest in some better shorts or pants so I dont feel like I need to sit on a donut afterwards. lol

On Thursday I was suppose to head over to my sisters at 7 for a Lia Sophia party. So I made sure I didnt putz around after work. Came home and did my normal strength training routine. Its been probably 10 days or so since my last one, and oh boy am I feeling it today. I was not feeling the workout at all. And wanted to quit halfway through. Especially when I got to the ab work. I thought I am really wimping out here and FAT would be so disappointed. So I finished and felt good about it afterwards.

As I read other blogs (and sorry I havent commented on a lot, Im still trying to catch up!), I came across Brians and it struck a cord with me. He is doing great! And I thought damn I really need to step my game up. I joined FAT 68 days ago, and have only lost 7 pounds. Are you freaking kidding me? Melissa get real. (I sound like Dr. Phil there. lol ) The only person Im kidding is myself! I need to re-evaluate my commitment, because I can do better than 7 pounds. I know I have a smaller goal than some on here, but seriously 2 pounds a week is still 8 pounds a month. I should be down at least 15 pounds by now!

With that being said, I am finding it quite hard to "push" myself to that level I want to be able to see results. Without a gym membership I feel constricted in a way. I know thats all in my head and I can find the same results with a gym that I can without. So next week Im venturing into the walk/jog program. There I said. Now I have to do it. I know that when I tried this before I was happy with the results. Its just getting over the whole walk/jog outside and people looking at me like what the heck is she doing? A wannabe runner. I know its all in my head. Marcol gave me a good tip, to get a watch that I can set every minute, or 2 minutes, so I know when to switch from walk to run. That sounds much better than music alternate just because its safer in my hood to not listen to music.

And while that steps up my cardio soon I will need to step up my strength training. If anyone wants to suggest some strength training routines - that works without a gym Im all ears for that to. Ive just been doing some videos that combine cardio with 5lb weights. And it has the abs, legs, arms, etc.

And as far as stepping it up long term - I have decided 2008 will be the year I walk two Breast Cancer 3 Days. I wanted to do D.C. as well as Michigan but they are right next to each other in regards to dates. Jim and Rob, they just released the dates and registration! Rob make sure you get the code to get $35 off before November 15th :) So after the dates were released and I thought about financially doing two events....I thought I was getting ahead of myself. But no, two walks. I can do it. And I want to do it. I already am planning fundraisers in order, and feel like this is my next step in the 3 day community. So Chicago, Boston, or maybe Philly are in the running. There I said that to. Hold me to it ;)

So you heard it first. Melissa is stepping it up. Watch out come Christmas - Melissa is going to be fab.

10 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

Glad to hear you're stepping it up. But you should give yourself a little bit more credit - you just walked 60 miles in 3 days. Now, if you're not happy with the speed of your weight loss, I think you should turn to how you're eating. You're getting plenty of exercise.

Also, the weight lifting this is a good idea. I don't want to point you in the wrong direction because I'm not familiar with female workouts, so I'll leave that to our resident SheRas.

Jim McCoy said...

Glad to hear that you're aiming high. Don't knock the walking thing though, Melissa, because I've lost almost sixty five pounds in six months walking. The weight training is a good idea too, though. Just keep at it, and you'll get there.

swankywanker said...

I vote for Philly!!! Way to commit to your health and also a great cause.

I agree with Rob. It sounds like you're wicked active, so maybe too many calories are holding you back from your goal. There are plenty of Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculators online, you should check out what your basic caloric requirements are, and work from there. You've talked about a thyroid condition, I know that f's with your metabolism, so maybe your doc would have some advice as to how the thyroid stuff affects your BMR.

I'm staying just below/towards the very bottom of my BMR range (calculators vary,) losing about 2lbs/week with this plan. Might work for you too.

Jay said...

I agree with Rob, you'll find the answers you're looking for when you take a good hard look at your diet.

Jay said...

oh, and also, I'm excited to see that you're motivated, it's hard to get out of the doldrums.

Melissa said...

I defintely think my food could use some help. I think Ill focus more on that this upcoming week.

I know Im pretty active, but being active and being in shape or fit are two totally different things to me. I never walk for that. I maintain a pretty good pace but nothing "aerobic" if you know what I mean.

Marcol said...

Nothing wrong with steppin it up Melissa. Sounds like you have a plan. I began on this 5k training I have been doing walking/running for minutes at a time outside. At first I had the same concern about people looking and talking about me. Then my Ex said "do you really think theyre thinking about you, c'mon." She then told me how she began running from one pole to the next (mind you she runs lots of miles now). That inspired me. I realized I had to start somewhere so I bit the bullet and got outside 1 minute at a time and look at me now, running 3 miles. So you can do the same. I also think its helped me shed some of my recent pounds.

Dont let the whole no gym membership trick you. Theres plenty you can do at home without the equipment at a gym. However much you weigh, theres your built in resistance. You can do squats, lunges, push-ups, crunches, dips and so much more right from your home. If you need it put in some sort of format, let me know.

The key is to want to do it, then find the way. Sounds like you want it, so lets make it happen.

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa, GREAT job on finishing your workout when you didn't want to. I'm so proud of you for that!!!

As far as the walk/jog, don't feel as self-conscious about it (easier said than done, I know). When I see people out there running, jogging or walking, I don't think they're wannabes at all!! I actually get so excited for them because they're out there doing it and not letting anything stop them. The watch is a great idea. You can figure out how many mph you're running, too, which is nice.

One more thing...weights. I'm doing the same thing...trying to strength train without a gym. Women's Health Mag's site has GREAT exercises, but a lot of them require equipment. For me, I don't do isolated training, but exercises that work several muscles at once. It's more bang for the buck. Here's what I do or have done in the past:

1. Pushups. If you can't do them on the balls of your feet, do them on your knees. If those are still too tough, do them off a counter or in a doorway.

2. Situps or crunches. Be careful with situps because they can hurt your back. Both give you a good ab workout, so do what works for you.

3. Oblique crunches. You probably know this, but basically get in the crunch position, but put your knees on the floor to one side.

4. Dips. This is more isolated than the rest, but they're a great triceps workout. They can be done off a couch or chair or whatever.

5. Squats. Just be sure your knees don't go past your toes and keep your back as straight and upright as you can.

6. Step-ups. You can use a chair or a couch or anything of that height. Just step up with one leg and back down. Repeat with other leg.

7. Single-leg Romanian Deadlift (I think that's what it's called). This actually helps your balance while working your abs, butt and legs. Stand on one leg. Extend your other leg straight behind you while reaching down with both arms to about 6 or so inches in front of your toes. Keep your back straight! Go down slow, return slow. It doesn't seem like a good workout at first, but trust me, you'll feel it in the morning!!! :)

If you're into workout vids, Tae Bo is awesome for both cardio and strength training.

Ok, wow. Long comment. Sorry! :)

Jay said...

Melissa, you still there? Where'd you go?

Ripx180 said...

Hey Melissa,

How are things going in your neck of the woods? haven't seen a post in a while and need a Melissa fix. From your Tucks weigh in weight looks like things are going just fine. Anyway hope all is well but do throw us a bone if you get the chance.