CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Progress Update

Today I have been re-assessing my goals and trying to figuring out exactly what I want. Sure I want to reach that "goal weight" I originally set out, but what do I want to do also in regards to health. As I took measurements and pictures I do see a difference, but also see I have a long way to go. It helped put in to perspective that getting the weight off is one thing, but getting the physical results I want is a whole new ballpark. When I started off this journey, I just wanted to be able to exercise and not feel like I was going to die. I wanted to feel physically fit. Its weird when you first start off this transition to a new healthy lifestyle, you think geez it would be great if I can do 15 minutes of exercise. And just drop some pounds. But when you get into it, you realize you have potential for so much more. I would consider myself fit now. Not extreme fit, but definitely in an average range of where I should be. Now that I know that I have that potential I think I need to transition to the next level. Its obvious I can do cardio by now. But what good is cardio if Im not building muscle. I want to feel my cardio and strength training are on equal grounds..unlike now where cardio is the superior. So that next level is strengthening, toning, and decreasing body fat percentage. I have been doing some toning and strengthening but really just the bare minimum. Mostly because Im so lost on this subject. Muscles are nice, and I want them. (Although I do have to say my legs are looking mighty fantastic these days with the 3 day training and the jogging. :) )

I am going on a trip to Tampa in February with a bunch of girlfriends. We all met when I lost weight the first time on www.ediets.com, we have kept in contact for about 4 years. We have our own private forum that we keep in touch on. Yearly we have a "reunion" at one of the girls hometown(all of us live in different states.) So this year is Tampa. When we all met we decided to call ourselves the "bikini babes", since we all wanted to feel confident in a bikini. So you bet that we all are going to be living up to that title in Tampa. So my goal for that is February 29th. Im trying to set new goals that aren't weight loss related that will have me in that confident presence on this trip. This whole other side of working out is relatively new to me, so still unsure of how to set those goals.

Well I took some measurements and pictures tonight and figured Id do an update post.

August 2, 2007/November 13, 2007

Weight: 162/145
Size: 12/10
Waist: 37/34-1/2
Hips: 39/38-1/2
Chest: 36/35
Thigh: 26/23
Arm: 12/12


And I cant believe Im posting these pictures but here I go.

*big gulp*




11 comments:

Kristen said...

You're definitely toning up - looking great! Imagine what you'll look like in February...

Your mindframe sounds like mine. I think that it's from the influence of FAT. It's more than just being thin. We wanna be strong!

Jay said...

You're brave for posting your pictures (an you look truly terrified in the last one), but that's some really great progress!

I like how your goals are focused around general fitness rather than strictly weight gain.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you look amazing, Melissa!! What a difference between the two pics!

I totally know what you mean about changing the goals as you go along. At the beginning of this, I just wanted to get back to running 15 miles a week. When I achieved that, I wanted more. And now that I've done more, I still want to push my limits and challenge myself.

Just keep challenging yourself. Find that thing that you always wanted to do, but never thought you could and go for it.

Brian said...

you can see such a huge difference in those pics! Awesome work, you're looking great!

Let us know how the strength training works out because I have the same plans to replace some of my cardio with that soon.

It must feel good to enter into a "toning up" mode though.

Congrats

kyle said...

Your pix look great! There is a huge difference. I know that it takes a lot of nerve to post those (easy for me to say since I haven't done it yet myself), but to me, seeing your progress is inspiring. I keep using that word when I'm commenting, and maybe its a lack of vocabulary, but there are so many inspirational people in this group.

By seeing you and Brian today, and the progress that you've made, it just makes a newbie like me want to stay "clean". I can't wait until I can post similar pictures of myself.

Keep up the good work, and by Feb you'll definitely live up the Bikini Babes title. Now I'm going to find a Thesaurus :)

Rebecca said...

Definitely see a nice difference between the pics. Good work!

Weight training will definitely make a BIG difference for you. Starting with a total body routine at challenging weight, 3 times/week - you should start to see the difference pretty quickly, especially since you're so close to your goal. Woo hoo!

layla said...

wow what a difference! its so inspiring! all that in 4 months! keep it up...i cant wait to see you in your final AFTER pic. you've certainly come a long way, melissa. congrats!

Rob Tucker said...

Hey, I missed this one today. You're looking great. Don't be afraid to take these pictures and put them out there - the proof is in the pudding.

Nice work!

Geoff said...

Looking good! Weight training is awesome. Not only does it make you stronger and raise your metabolism, but (IMHO) it's great fun. I love the feeling of getting a really good pump and just feeling huge (but I'm a guy, so you probably won't be concerned with getting huge ^_^). Good luck!

Marcol said...

Great work Melis. Youre shaping up!

Anonymous said...

I want a waist!