CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 26, 2007

My Holiday Weekend


So my holiday weekend went rather well. Well diet wise. I was sick all week so didnt go to work all week, and I think its a break I needed. I started off the Holiday with my turkey trot as I mentioned earlier, and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome of that :) We were going to Grants aunts house for Thanksgiving dinner a few hours after that. I love his family, so was excited to go spend time with them. And his dad sure was flying the compliments my way, which was quite flattering. :blush: I did fairly well with dinner, controlling my portion sizes, and had a small piece of banana pudding pie for desert. I definitely felt full and not stuffed, which was my plan. Grant and I decided to go catch a movie thanksgiving night, American Gangster, I highly recommend it. Awesome flick! And I love Densel Washington. I did indulged in a small popcorn there, and savored the flavor! heh

On Friday I was planning on just chilling around the house, maybe do a little house cleaning. Bandito promptly woke me up at his normal weekend time of 8am. Sleepy eyed I let him out and decided to check my email while I waited for him to do his business. I planned on jumping right back in bed. As I opened my email I noticed an email from my friend Dawn. And the subject said, Update. I was hesitant to open it. I met Dawn on the 3 day in 2004. She was a breast cancer survivor at that point, and shortly after our walk the cancer came back. She has been battling it for the last 3 years. Well I decided to open it and halfway through the email the tears started to stream down my face. Over the last month she hasn't been feeling to good, so went in to get some testing done. There has been more progression in her cancer, and her doctor informed her on Wednesday that "statistically speaking" she has 2 to 6 months. She will still continuing with chemo and will be starting radiation therapy, so she has not given up hope, but is also being realistic. Three years ago when she began this journey, she was given months to years, so she said she has had time and is still hopeful for more.

First my heart stopped. Than my heart jumped in my throat. Than I couldn't control my tears. Than all these emotions and words starting flying through my head. Sad, Angry, Mad, Hopeless, etc. All I can say is cancer sucks. It simply is not fair. I tried to go back to bed and just laid there sobbing in Grants arms. I just let it all out. I than decided I needed a well supported day to get through it. So headed to my parents house. My hometown was having their Thanksgiving parade and I decided to go to that with them. My mom called my sister and brother in law, and they met us up there. It was nice to have them there. I was pretty much in a daze the rest of the weekend. Trying to process everything. I talked to a friend that recently had a friend pass away of cancer and our chat was soothing. Today Im doing better. Cancer is such a horrible disease, and its so painful to see the ones you love fight it. All I can keep doing is praying for Dawn, and pray for the strength to be there for her when she needs me. God has his plan for Dawn, and while we all would love for her to be here with us and sometimes we dont understand his plan....we have to believe and trust in him. Dawn is so positive. I know it was just an email vs face to face, but in the email you can feel the strength Dawn has, and just how at peace she is with her mind and heart. She says sure it sucks, but this is what Im dealt. So the only thing I can do is what Ive done all along, stand by her as her friend and pray. Please keep Dawn and her family in your prayers and thoughts.

The rest of my weekend went pretty good. I had a tattoo consult on Saturday that went very very very well. Im so excited! This is my weight loss "reward". Im going to dedicate a separate post for that one though ;) And Sunday I got out for a jog, 3.5 miles. It felt good to be out jogging again but it was a little rough. And than I was pleasantly surprised this morning by finally breaking through 145. 144.5, but hey its the lowest Ive been yet! Ive been gaining and losing the same 5lbs all month! Im 3.5 pounds away from my November goal which I dont think will happen. So hopefully December is a better month. Actually, yes December will be a better month :)


8 comments:

Jim McCoy said...

Melissa,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm about to lose my godmother to cancer (bone and not breast, but cancer is cancer and gone is gone) so I know what it's like. I spent my Sunday driving all the way up to Mount Pleasant to visit her, and it took me a good forty-five minutes of talking to her before enough of me got through the drug induced haze and she actually realized who I was. I hate this crap, and that's why I do the 3-Day. I don't know what else so say, except that we're here for you, and whatever you do, let it out if you need to. God does have a plan for your friend, and only He knows what it is, or what His reasons are for it.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry. It just sucks all the way around.

phenom said...

My thoughts are with you and your friend. Cancer is such a horrible thing. :(

Geoff said...

Thankfully I have not had to deal with this in my life (and I pray I never do) so I can only imagine what it must be like. God does have a plan for everyone, it's just so hard for us to see sometimes. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

kyle said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Melissa. 2 years ago this February my brother-in-law passed away from cancer. He battled it for 15 years, and sadly enough it finally took him with his wife pregnant with their first child. It is a horrible, uncaring, unrelenting disease. He was the one in the family that I really connected with when I first started dating my wife, and I still miss him very much. I guess we don't always know what is going to be dealt to us in life, but what other choice do we have than to deal with it. I know that he's in a better place now. I pray that you're friend will find a way to beat this again.

Rob Tucker said...

I don't really know what to add. I'm sorry to hear about this, and this just serves as another reminder why I'm going to walk the 3-day with you guys next year.

Cancer affects us all - that's the bottom line. Your friend sounds like she's so strong through this. Give her our best.

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. You're right, cancer SUCKS. I appreciate people like you who actually do something to fight it, or help people who are suffering from it. I lost my aunt to cancer almost 17 years ago, (sometimes it feels like yesterday though) and my grandfather to it 8 years ago. I definitely want to start running and participating in cancer-related events, even though I don't like fundraising. But it's a worthy cause for sure.

Now for the good news... congratulations on breaking through 145! That must feel so good - you have worked hard to restart your weight loss. You deserve all the compliments Grant's dad was floating your way. I hope you enjoyed every last one of them!

Jay said...

This is bad news....I'm sorry to hear about your friend.