CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Give Step A Chance

So its been a trying week. It seems every month, the week of the anniversary of the day my dads passing, my depression sinks deeper. I know its coming, so I thought maybe I could better prepare for it this month. That didnt work out so well for me. Instead I found myself sitting on the couch in a daze from the time I got home from work, till the time I went to bed.

So a friend I carpool to work with asked me how my night was, did I get out for a run like I wanted to? And I hung my head in shame, and said no. It was another one of those days, if you know what I mean. She has seen me on those days, so she knew exactly what I meant. So she perked up and said, I have an idea. Why dont you come to yoga and step class with me tonight? I looked over at her and said, Step? At your level? I may just die if I do that. lol Than I thought, why not? I could use a workout beating. And have never tried an actual Yoga class. (Only dvds)

So I gave Step a chance. First the instructor had a great story. She joined the Y when she was overweight, and after being there for a year she lost enough weight that they wanted to do a success story on her. Than she started her certification to be an instructor, and now she is doing that as her full time job. She has that fit, healthy look that I strive for. Our body types were very similar to, so its always inspiration to see where people have been, and where they are now. She is a great instructor. She gave good instructions, especially for those of us that are a little slow. And she pushes your limits enough where you push above your threshold but not to hard, ya know?

This was a 60 minute class, so about halfway through I did glance over at my friend and said....damn you took me to exercise hell! It was a good hell though. I seriously havent worked out that hard probably ever. Or sweated that much either! I was able to keep up, so that was a bonus. There were a few hip skipping moves I couldnt catch on to, but for the most part hung in there. It made me feel like maybe I wasnt as out of shape as I thought I was :) I think all that walking Ive been doing really helped me legs out the next day to. lol When I was done, I felt fantastic! Seriously. I want that feeling every week. And that depression, well lets just say my world felt a little bit brighter that night and the next day :)

So now I want to sign up. Its a little pricey, the classes are an additional cost to the membership. So Im still crunching numbers to see if it fits into my budget. Another perk is I know that my friend will keep me accountable to keep going. She said Ill pick you up on the way every week. Nothing more accountable than someone sitting in your driveway waiting to pick you up. :p

So maybe Im not so opposed to group exercise as I thought I was.

4 comments:

Roder said...

Melissa, I've got a workout partner and it's made all the difference in the world. I'm not allowed to give in to the temptation of skipping a workout because I know he's there, waiting for me and I can't let him down. So if she's going to be there for you I think you'll find it to be very helpful. :)

Roder said...

Alright Melissa, as a weight-loss blog I follow, it's your turn. You're now officially tagged. Tell us six random facts or interesting tidbits about you, then pass it on. Ready? Go!

http://wastethewaist.blogspot.com/2008/10/tag-huh.html

lj said...

I have sporadic workout buddies but whenever I have plans with them I always get a great workout! I wish I had a more consistent one! I've also always been opposed to group workout classes but all my friends love them... maybe I'll check out one at the school gym one of these days.

GeneTheK said...

I've taken a few kickboxing classes in the past. Once I got past the initial awkwardness of trying to get the "moves" down (and after a few dirty looks from the instructor) it was an amazing workout. Usually it was just what I needed to get through a tough time - sounds like it worked out for you too Melissa. Good for you.